Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Grumpy"

When I'm tired or feeling stressed out, every once in a while [Abby will laugh at that last phrase], I can be a little grumpy. Sadly, I tend to express my grumpy attitude by speaking in a harsh tone to Abby or the children.

Within the last few months, Abby and I have started helping Christian work on improving his attitude through focusing on the characteristics of love found in 1 Corinthians 13 (this was Abby's idea). So, for example, when Christian demands things be done his own way, Abby or I say to him, "Love does not insist on its own way; you are not being loving; you need to have a better, more loving attitude," etc.

In thinking about 1 Corinthians 13:5, I've recently realized that what I've been excusing in myself as "grumpiness" is biblically defined as "irritability," which is contrary to love and is, therefore, a sin. By God's grace, I am seeking to put off this irritable attitude and to replace it with godly love toward others.

I encourage anyone who may be reading this post to take a moment to look at 1 Corinthians 13 and to consider ways in which you too may need God's forgiveness and help in reflecting His love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home