Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Witnessing: An Application of Exegetical, Biblical, and Systematic Theology

Yesterday I drove for about seven hours to get from the Atlanta area to Louisville in order to work my shift at UPS. I arrived at work early and sat in the break room, rather selfishly planning to 'chill out' after the drive and not talk to anyone. Graciously, however, God gave me an opportunity to bear witness concerning the good news of my Lord Jesus Christ as a non-Christian friend began talking to me and he raised the subject of different religions.

In speaking to my friend, I realized that I was applying what I learned in Seminary concerning exegetical, biblical and systematic theology. Exegetically, I discussed the meaning of particular verses in the Gospel of John with my friend; biblically, I helped him to see what John was trying to show about Jesus throughout his Gospel account in relation to the other Scriptures; systematically, we discussed questions that he had about how the Cross relates to God's forgiveness and what happens to people who do not believe in Jesus.

Certainly Christians do not need a degree in theology in order to witness about Jesus, but I was glad to see that my education seemed to be helping me in a conversation with a non-seminary-graduate. Also, I think that with or without a degree, every Christian needs to pursue some form of education in exegetical, biblical, and systematic theology in order to understand the Bible and to accurately declare the good news from the Bible to others.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home