Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Few Thoughts on a Googled Psalm

Tonight I Googled the word "Psalm," as I have been studying some of the Psalms lately and was curious to see which Psalm would get the highest result on Google.

The second result, after the Wikipedia entry for "Psalms," was Psalm 139 in the NIV. At first this surprised me, as I thought that a better-known Psalm such as Psalm 23 or even Psalm 1 would receive more hits, and thus be listed as a higher result.

Why is Psalm 139 so popular? I believe that it is due to the application of this Psalm to the issue of the sanctity of human life in contrast to abortion. Pro-life groups often quote (quite appropriately) from Psalm 139:13-16:

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

I think that it is important to recognize the context of the verses above. This Psalm is focused on God: specifically, our omniscient and omnipresent God who cares for His people.

God knows His people; He knows our actions and thoughts. Anywhere we may choose to go, God is there with us. God's knowledge of His people is not a passive knowledge, but is active and personal.

God is our Creator, knitting us together within our mothers' wombs, and so we owe Him all love and obedience. We have all fallen short of God's glory, going our own "offensive way." In Christ, God leads His people into "the way everlasting."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home