Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Thursday, August 30, 2018

ESV Expository Commentary

ESV's Expository Commentary for Daniel through Malachi is available for pre-order now, and it will be available on September 30, 2018. I'm so thankful that last night, I was able to receive a copy early from my pastor, Mitch Chase, who wrote the section on Daniel. When Mitch was working on his contribution for the Daniel section, I had the privilege of proof-reading what he wrote. (Other than maybe catching a few commas, my contribution was minimal; one thing I was supposed to do was help him lower his page count to fit his section into the single volume, but I greatly appreciated basically everything he wrote, so I was pretty useless in that regard.)

I haven't had too much time to look through the rest of the volume yet, but the commentary is definitely worthwhile for the Daniel section alone. In addition to being the pastor of Kosmosdale Baptist Church, Mitch is an adjunct professor at Boyce College, where he has taught classes that include Hebrew, Old Testament, and Ancient Near Eastern History. His commentary on Daniel does an exemplary job of showing the structure of the text, giving the historical situation (and the historic realization of prophetic passages), and displaying parallel features in the text through a number of helpful tables. Mitch ably demonstrates that Daniel is intended to point readers to Christ and to our resurrection hope.

I cannot more highly recommend this work, which can be pre-ordered at the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/ESV-Expository-Commentary-7-Daniel-Malachi/dp/1433546523/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532036375&sr=8-2&keywords=esv+expository+commentary

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The three-fold distinction of the law is an important one for us to understand how the law and gospel relate to one another. Keach's Catechism which I'm taking my kids through states, "Q. 47. Where is the moral law summarily comprehended?
A. The moral law is summarily comprehended in the Ten Commandments. (Deut. 10:4; Matt. 19:17)" Furthermore, the 1689 LBC in chapter 19 helps extrapolates this out a little more. Now we know that catechism's and confessions are not equal to the Word of God, but I always find them helpful as a starting point in understanding biblical concepts.

Your update from Mitch's sermon is an interesting one that the children of Israel all heard the LORD institute the 10 commandments. I'll have to re-listen to the sermon and scourer some commentaries on this. If this interpretation is correct I believe it adds more to the validity of the tripartite distinction of the law.

On a side note, I bought a while back from a Christian book store a copy of the 10 commandments to put on my wall to help memorize with my kids. It was from Rose Publishing which was a pretty trusted source, or so I thought. As we began to go through the poster something wasn't adding up in the order of the 10 commandments. If only I looked at the fine print at the bottom stating that it was the Catholic 10 commandments. A teachable moment for the kids and me. It also was one of those rabbit trails of hunting down why there was a difference. The kids keep on reminding me of that and we all laugh about it.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home