Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Lord's Prayer in Latin, Marked for Translation

[The following was originally posted on 4/27/16.]

I have the privilege of teaching Latin at Sayers Classical Academy and also teaching Sunday school at Kosmosdale Baptist Church. In God's providence, I am currently able to begin teaching about the Lord's Prayer in both of these settings. For my Latin class, it is necessary for me to be able to fully identify each word of the Lord's Prayer in the Latin text. I pray that this close examination of our Lord's words (I'm looking at the Greek text also) will help in my exegesis and explanation of the prayer in Sunday school as well.

Looking online for helps regarding the Latin text of the Lord's prayer, I could not find any page that had the prayer fully marked for translation. Therefore, I've created my own marked text, seen below. I've marked it in the way that is most useful to me. I certainly welcome any questions/corrections.


VMS^           
Pater noster,

pron.       2sPAI   (in+AblNP)       
qui          es          in caelis,          

 3s PPS          AccNS ^
sanctificetur nomen tuum.
                                                       
3s PAS     AccNS ^                      
Adveniat regnum tuum. 

                 PN
3s PPS      NFS      ^
Fiat          voluntas tua,

adv.  (in+AblNS)     conj.     (in+AblSF)
sicut in caelo          et          in terra.

AccMS ^              ^                  2s PAV         
Panem nostrum quotidianum da               

1pDat  adv
nobis hodie,

conj      2s PAV  1pDat AccNP^               
et          dimitte nobis debita nostra

adv. conj. 1pNom   
sicut et    nos         

1p PAI         DMP          ^
dimittimus debitoribus nostris.

conj.      adv.         1pAcc             
Et          ne             nos                 

2s PAS  (in+AccFS)
inducas in tentationem,

conj.        2s PAV       1pAcc.         (a +       AblMS)
sed          libera          nos               a          malo.


Amen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home