Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Books Bought Yesterday

Yesterday, I spent the last of a gift card, used some exchange credit from Christian Book Nook, and a coupon from LifeWay, and bought three new books:

Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by G.K. Beale and D.A. Carson;

God's Indwelling Presence by Jim Hamilton;

A History of the Work of Redemption by Jonathan Edwards. [Thanks to my friend Mitch Chase, who helped me find this book.]

These books, plus those I mentioned yesterday, equal six of the eleven books from my Christmas Wish List. This is significant because, unlike many of my friends at Southern Seminary, who are seeking to basically reproduce Dr. Mohler's library in their own homes, I have a fairly limited number of books that I want to keep in my house.

I also bought some books for the Kosmosdale Baptist Church library as well. I've been given/taken the responsibility for our church library, and so, as different members have donated their old books, I have added some of them to the library, and have taken others to the Christian Book Nook and sold them in order for store credit in order to fill out sections of the library in need of more material. Right now, I am trying to get more Puritan works (we have a shelf set aside for the Puritans, but currently only about half-a-dozen books on that shelf), so yesterday I bought:

A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine;

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen.

[The teachings found in both of these works are, somewhat remarkably, uncontroversial in our congregation.]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home