Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Thursday, November 10, 2011

A New Book to Honor Tom Nettles


Today during the chapel service at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBTS), the highly influential Baptist historian and theologian, Dr. Thomas J. Nettles was honored by being presented with a festschrift. I was not able to be present at the chapel service this morning due to work, but apparently Tom Ascol, Director of Founders Ministries, presented the work to Dr. Nettles.

I first learned of this book about a year ago when I had the privilege of chatting with Dr. Michael A.G. Haykin while I was doing some research at the SBTS library. I asked Dr. Haykin about the research he was doing, and he told me that he was preparing to write a chapter on John Gill for an upcoming festschrift for Dr. Nettles. (At that time, Dr. Haykin told me not to mention this to Dr. Nettles, as the festschrift was meant to be a surprise: I wonder if this work remained a surprise to Dr. Nettles until yesterday?) It was highly interesting that Dr. Haykin would write the chapter on Gill, since (unless their positions have changed) Dr. Nettles does not believe that Gill was a hyper-Calvinist, while Dr. Haykin is convinced that Gill was a hyper-Calvinist. I am extremely interested to see how Dr. Haykin's chapter turned out.

The rest of the book-- with contributors such as Dr. Greg Wills, Dr. Russell Moore, Dr. Sam Waldron, and Dr. Fred Malone-- looks highly interesting as well, and I look forward to reading it. For those interested, information about the book and how to order it can be found HERE.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home