Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Monday, October 24, 2011

3 Notes on Preaching from Dr. Russell Moore and Rev. David Prince

Required to take a class on preaching for my Master of Divinity degree from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBTS), I waited a few semesters to be sure that I could take the class from Dr. Russell Moore, since God had used his preaching as a major factor in confirming my call to SBTS.

The class was co-taught by Dr. Moore's close friend, Rev. David Prince, who is the pastor of Ashland Avenue Baptist Church. Overall, the class certainly met (or exceeded!) my expectations.

Early on during the semester, students were given 3 notes, which we were told to place in our Bibles that we use for preaching. These notes are excellent reminders about what Christian preaching MUST be, and I think they will benefit any Christian preacher, so I want to record them here:

1. "I am an ambassador for Christ when preaching."

2. When preaching, the center of every sermon must be Christ.

3. The purpose of preaching is not [merely] the passing along of ideas, it is communicating the story of the kingdom of Christ.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home