Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Prediction

There are, of course, two possibilities.

1. My original prediction (mentioned to several friends) was that Obama would lose, because it was my contention that Americans are both too smart and too stupid to vote for Obama.

a. Too smart to fail to see through his rhetoric that despite attempting to portray himself as moderate, he is actually radically liberal. This would, from my perspective, lead to voting against the wrong candidate for this office for the right reasons.

b. Too stupid in the sense that I believed there was enough racism in America to keep many people from voting for Obama (or even prompt people to vote against Obama) simply based on his ethnicity. This would, from my perspective, lead to voting against the wrong candidate for this office for the wrong reason.

2. I am no longer so sure about this prediction, and you may be surprised to learn that what prompted me to re-consider has little to do with the polls (I believe that the Bradley Effect may still come into play). I am concerned that John McCain may have failed to adequately communicate a comprehensive vision for what he would do as president, and that he relied too heavily on attacking Barack Obama. If my perception of the situation is correct, then Sen. McCain may have made a similar mistake to that of John Kerry in the 2004 election. In 2004 President Bush wasn't extremely popular, but when Kerry ran against Bush, he seemed to many voters to be relying on "hate Bush" more than a positive presentation of his own position.

I do believe that Sen. McCain has a better position on the issues, particularly on the issue of abortion, and I hope that voters recognize that today.

Whoever wins, Christians must remember, "It is [God] who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding" (Dan 2:21).

Update 11/05:
It looks like my original 'too smart/too stupid' theory was right, but only for the Southern states. Apparently the Northern and West Coast states are both more gullible and more enlightened than what I had accounted for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home