Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Reformation Day!


On October 31, 1517 Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg, an action that is popularly considered to be the catalyst of the Protestant Reformation.

The following video depicts the posting of the 95 Theses as well as Martin Luther's famous speech at the Diet of Worms:



[I must note that I do not support "withoutthegate.com"- the YouTube member who is listed at the end of the video as having posted the video- as that website advocates some heretical doctrine.]

Also, I highly recommend the 2003 movie Luther. The scene from this movie of Luther at the Diet of Worms follows:


Here are Luther's final words before the Diet of Worms, as related by historian Roland Bainton:

Since you majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me, Amen. [Roland H. Bainton, Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1978) 144.]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home