The Cross Centered Day
In my Sunday school class at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, we have been studying through Living the Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney. This past Lord's Day we looked at Chapter 13, "The Cross Centered Day." While all of the chapters have been great, this chapter was especially helpful to me and it is, in my opinion, worth the price of the book. In this chapter, Mahaney recommends five daily habits that can serve to draw us near to the cross each day:
- Memorize the Gospel: Certain verses and passages of Scripture summarize essential gospel truth, and we should focus on these and commit them to memory.
- Pray the Gospel: As we pray throughout the day, we should meditate on the fact that we approach God through the forgiveness of sins purchased through the death of His Son.
- Sing the Gospel: We should fill our minds and mouths with songs that focus on what God has done for us through Christ, rather than just on our feelings, wants, and needs.
- Review How the Gospel Has Changed You: As Paul repeated his testimony of how God changed him in his speeches and letters recorded in the New Testament, we must also consider our past and the difference that has been made in our lives by God's grace through Christ's work.
- Study the Gospel: Mahaney asserts that our passion for what Jesus has done is directly related to our understanding of what Jesus has done; to assist in our understanding, we must read books that systematically examine the Bible's teaching about the gospel.