The Mission of the Body of Christ: Sermon Notes from Matthew 16:13-20 (Sermon by Keith Stell)
I. "But who do you say that I am?"
A. This is the single greatest question we might be asked.
B. This question implies mission, as we are to be saying something about Jesus, and it is important that we say something correct.
C. This question was a kind of catechism.
II. What is the Church on Mission?
A. Ecclesia = "called out" ones; we are called out of sin.
B. The Church is a congregation: a body gathered for a purpose.
C. The Church is designed to reflect the glory of God's grace.
III. Whose Church is It? What is Its Guarantee?
A. Peter is not the foundation of the Church.
1. Peter, after the statement in Matt 16:18, denied Jesus three times.
2. Peter, after the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, was rebuked by Paul, as recorded in Galatians.
3. In 1 Peter 5:1, Peter refers to himself as a fellow elder.
4. The question of "who is the greatest?" which the disciples posed to Jesus, was not answered by an appeal to Petrine primacy.
5. The different terms for "rock" point away from Peter being identified as the foundation of the Church.
B. The Role of the Apostles is Foundational to the Church
1. Ephesians 2:20.
2. Revelation 21:14.
3. Acts 2:42.
C. Ultimately, the Rock is Christ
1. Jesus said, "My Church."
2. Christ has preeminence in all things.
Labels: Bible study