Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Confession: Broadcasting, Rather Than Covering Over "Wrongs"

Yesterday, as I was finishing preparation to teach Proverbs 10:12, Hatred stirs up disputes, but love covers over all transgressions, I began turning to various books that I own in order to see how other, wiser brothers in Christ have understood the text. I turned to one particular book [I'm trying-- as much as possible-- to be intentionally vague here, for reasons that should soon become clear] and noticed that the verse was not listed in the Scripture index. Slightly annoyed, I posted a mild complaint about the book on Facebook.

The irony of the situation did not strike me until today. Now, my action in complaining on Facebook was not a direct contradiction of the text-- I did not feel "hatred" toward the author, I was not trying to start a "dispute," and the author certainly had committed no true "transgression" against me-- it was not as if I had cussed at someone while studying to teach Ephesians 4:29.

On the other hand, I DO think that I violated the spirit of the wisdom communicated in the text. I had the feeling of being slightly wronged by the resource in question, and instead of "covering over" this "transgression"-- in this case, by either turning away from my initial disappointment or by contacting the author privately (which my sound strange, but I know the author to be extremely approachable, despite being very busy)-- I broadcast my opinions on the matter. I subsequently deleted my comment, and got some helpful feedback from the author himself in a private message through Facebook.

I've noticed that this kind of situation is not rare in preparing to teach from the Bible. If I am planning to teach a lesson dealing with adultery, I will be tempted to lust. If I am planning to teach from a text dealing with unjust anger, I will be tempted to lash out at those around me. I believe that this is the principle found (for example) in Romans 7:21 at work, and it shows the need for vigilance, especially among teachers in the church, since we will be held to a higher standard (see James 3:1).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home