Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Importance of a Title

This past Monday, I published a blogpost titled, "Beer: one glass a sin? (an open letter to Phil Johnson)." In some responses I've received to that post (including Mr. Johnson's initial response on this blog), it seems that people thought, since I was reacting to Mr. Johnson's statement, "I don't think it's a sin to drink a beer," that my position is that it IS a sin to drink a beer. To clarify: I DON'T think-- and didn't think when I wrote that post-- that it is either technically or necessarily a sin to drink a beer. I DID-- and still do-- think that there may be [many] times in which drinking a beer is a sin, especially due to particular circumstances in American culture, and THAT is what I was trying to argue.

But I think that I framed the argument wrong at the outset. In the initial part of my title-- "Beer: one glass a sin?"-- it seemed as if I were posing a simple yes/no question [with me as a "no"], when my whole position is that the issue has become too complex to give a simple yes/no answer. I should have just skipped that part of the title and gone straight to the "an open letter..." part.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home