Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Monday, May 02, 2011

Harold Camping Billboard in Paulding County, GA and Some Thoughts on the Lord's Return

[I was going to try to post something about the death of Osama bin Laden, but found that Tom Ascol already wrote everything that I would have wanted to say, better than I could have said it HERE.]

While visiting family in Georgia over Easter weekend, Abby noticed a Family Radio "Judgment Day" billboard identical to the billboards I have noticed here in Louisville. The billboard that Abby noticed (if I understood her correctly) was beside Hwy. 120 West, between Macland Road and Atlanta Hwy.

I've heard a few Christians talking about these billboards, and speaking about what Camping's followers are going to do on May 22.

Now, as mentioned in previous posts, I believe Camping's calculation for coming up with his May 21, 2011 date for Jesus' return is completely bogus. But even as we reject Camping's error, I wonder if we do not sometimes err in taking for granted that Jesus will not return until after this date. But the New Testament seems to indicate that we should be prepared for the Lord's return at any time: including today and every day (though, due to the fact that the exact date of His return is supposed to be unexpected, I would be surprised if He returned on May 21st itself).

Also, I wonder if we do not long for his return as we ought; would we rather Jesus delay so that we can accomplish our own life goals? If so, we are placing other things before our Lord, and thus engaging in a form of idolatry.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home