Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Good morning, Daddy" and the gospel

Every morning when I go get Christian out of bed while Abby takes care of Georgia Grace, I always greet Christian with a "Good morning, Christian!" and make him say, "Good morning, Daddy!" and, "Out, please," before I get him out of bed. (His tendency lately is to fuss and scream, "Out!" as soon as I walk in the room). Insisting that Christian say the phrases just mentioned is an issue of good manners, which I want him to show towards all people, but more than that I hope that making him greet me and ask me- rather than fuss at me and demand things- helps instill an attitude within him that will point to the proper response he is to have to the gospel of Jesus, as soon as he is old enough to understand it.

Because God gives us freedom in Christ and delights to grant our requests (especially for salvation), but He only does so as we speak to Him with love and respect, and request that He deliver us. If we come to Him with a complaining, rebellious heart and demand our own way, we will not receive the salvation He offers.

So every morning I want Christian to understand that I am Dad, he is not, that he must speak to me with respect and that he must ask for things (not demand them) from me, because I hope to someday introduce him to our heavenly Father, who we all must respect and from whom we must humbly ask for salvation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home