Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

follower of Christ, husband of Abby, father of Christian, Georgia Grace, and Rory Faith, deacon at Kosmosdale Baptist Church, tutor with Scholé Christian Tradition and Scholé Academy

Monday, May 01, 2006

The Greatest Gift



At the recent Together for the Gospel conference the attendees were blessed to receive about 10 books as gifts, placed on our chairs before each session. All of these books were great, written by authors such as John Piper and C.J. Mahaney but the greatest gift that we were given must certainly be the new MacArthur Study Bible, now in the NASB version. This was the greatest gift not only in terms of price (though it was certainly the most expensive of the books that we received), but it will also provide a direct benefit for everyone reading it in understanding the Word of God through the insightful notes of pastor John MacArthur and the faculty of The Master's Seminary, as well as through the many detailed charts.

This gift was especially great to me because I had already decided to buy the NASB MacArthur Study Bible as soon as possible. If you have ever had the opportunity to think over a purchase, decide that the purchase was not just a passing desire, but something that would provide lasting benefit, carefully plan out how you were going to make the purchase, and then, right before you actually made the purchase, you were given the desired object as a gift, you know how I feel. Having been given the ESV Reformation Study Bible at Christmas by my loving wife, Abby, I now have a complete study Bible library, with the old Believers' Study Bible in NKJV, the new MacArthur Study Bible in NASB and the Reformation Study Bible in ESV. Now, I can begin my Bible study meditating over and outlining a particular passage using my Holman Christian Standard Bible without study notes (which Abby also gave me), then I can move on to compare the other literal translations and the study notes in these translations. I feel truly blessed that God has allowed me to live in a situation where I can access these and so many other Bible study tools, and it is my prayer that I would utilize all He has given me to truly come into a more intimate knowledge of my precious Lord Jesus for the glory of Almighty God through the upbuilding of His kingdom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother,

You are inciting covetousness! I wanted to attend, and I am longing for some of those same books!

I'm glad you got to go, and thanks for sharing some of it on your blog.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

12:56 PM  
Blogger Nathan White said...

Andrew,

Sorry I couldn't make it this year brother; I'm glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time.

The MacArthur study Bible is the best around by far, and I'm saying this even though I have the Reformation Study Bible, and even though I question a lot of MacArthur's dispensationalism. Even still, as you will soon see, the notes are extensive, Christ-centered, and a must have for any study of the Word -young or old.

SDG

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home