Call To Die

Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. (Luke 9:23-24, HCSB)

My Photo
Name:

Follower of Christ, husband of Abby, member of New Georgia Baptist Church.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Bible translation: Galatians 2

1 Later, after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas along with Titus as well. 2 But I went up according to a revelation. And I reported to them the Gospel I preach in the nations– but privately, to those reputed to be important, lest somehow I might run, or have ran, in vain.

3 But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 Because false brothers who were smuggled in crept in to spy out our freedom hat we have in Christ Jesus. 5 We didn’t yield to them for a moment in obedience so that the truth of the Gospel might remain unchanged with y’all.

6 But as for those appearing to be something– when, in fact, they are nothing to me (God does not consider a man’s appearance)– those appearing to be something added nothing to me. 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the Gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised 8 (for He who effectively worked in Peter’s apostleship to the circumcised also effectively worked in me among the nations), 9 then James, Cephas, and John– those appearing to be pillars–knew the grace given to me, and they gave Barnabas and me their right hands of fellowship that we might go into the nations, but they might go to the circumcised. 10 They only asked that we might remember the poor, which was the very thing I was intent to do.

11 But when Cephas came into Antioch I opposed him to his face, because he had been condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he would associate with the Gentiles. But when they came he began to withdraw and separate himself, fearing those from the circumcision party. 13 And the rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was led astray in their hypocrisy.

14 But when I saw they weren’t straightforward in line with the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas in front of everyone, “If you, a Jew, are living like a Gentile and don’t live like a Jew, how do you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?

15 “We– who are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners, 16 after having known that a man isn’t justified by works of the law, but rather through faith in Jesus Christ (and we have believed in Christ Jesus)– since we were justified by faith in Christ, and not by works of law (because by works of law no flesh will be justified)–17 if, while we are seeking to be justified by Christ, we ourselves were found to be sinners, then is Christ a minister of sin? May it never be!

18 “For if I construct again those things I destroyed, I demonstrate myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through law I died to law so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. 20 I live, but it is no longer I, but Christ lives in me. But the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I don’t set aside the grace of God, for if justification is through law, then Christ died in vain.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home